Västra Ingelstads Kyrka
Historical church in Västra Ingelstad
Västra Ingelstads Kyrka is a worth seeing church from the 12th century and is located on the edge of the village of Västra Ingelstad, about 8 kilometers east of Vellinge.
The church is famous for its medieval triptych. This altar from 1520 is a work from Antwerp and is one of the most famous art treasures of the entire monastery of Lund. A little more recent than the altar is the pulpit. It dates back to the 17th century and is decorated with carved illustrations of the Evangelists.
The oldest extension of the church took place with the attachment of the vestibule of the church in the 14th century. Beginning of the 16th century the original chancel was demolished and a new wider chancel for the new altar was built on the east side.
At that time it was the patronage church of the nearby manor Månstorp and later castle Månstorps Gavlar. The construction of the new choir and the subjacent crypt for the noble family with the winged altar were a gift from the former mistress of Månstorp who was very concerned about the salvation of her husband.
The massive church tower is relatively young, it is from 1855 and was modified in 1894. Just a little younger than the tower is the organ. It was built in 1862.