Lighthouse in Falsterbo
Falsterbo Fyr is the 25-meter high lighthouse of Falsterbo. It was built according to the plans of the architect Olof Tempelman and put into operation on September 20, 1796.
The lighthouse is located about 400 meters west of the medieval beacon Kolabacken. The lighthouse keeper's apartment in the tower was decorated and furnished by the Falsterbo Museum and corresponds to the condition of the mid-19th century.
Like its predecessor, Falsterbo Fyr was fired with coal in the beginning. In the middle of the tower was a chute through which the burning coal has been pulled up to the platform at the top of the lighthouse. To adjust the flame height, the door at the lower end of the shaft was opened more or less to vary the airflow under the fire. Like a mighty torch, the open fire lit over land and sea until the lighthouse was rebuilt in 1843.
Falsterbo Fyr is put into operation.
The lighthouse is completely redesigned and the burning coals are replaced by lanterns and a lens system.
The oil lamps are replaced by more intense kerosene lamps.
A gas burner is installed as the light source.
The lighthouse is declared a historical monument and gets electric lighting.
Since this year the lighthouse is automated and is controlled from Trelleborg.
Falsterbo Fyr is officially out of service and three years later, the building is handed over to the municipality Vellinge. Since then, the lighthouse is equipped with a 40 watt lamp for decoration and to the delight of the residents and tourists.