S:ta Gertruds Kyrka
Historical church in Falsterbo
S:ta Gertruds Kyrka is located in the south of Falsterbo. Its oldest parts date back to the second half of the 14th century.
Today, the church is far outside of town, a place, which was propably the city center in the Middle Ages. It is embedded and shielded from mounds of shifting sand. Over the centuries, this often threatened to bury the house of God among it.
The oldest object in the church is the baptismal font from the 14th century. On the north wall is a fully functional small organ from the 18th century. It is the work of Malmö organ builder Andreas Malmlöf and was first played on the first Advent 1769. On the wall to the tower is the large organ whose facade was designed in the 1920s by a local wood carver, modeled after the small organ.
Particularly eye-catching is the high altar, a triptych from the 15th century, created by the famous Hermen Rode from Lübeck. There is also a smaller side altar from the same time period.
Worth mentioning is also a statue of S:t Christophorus from 1390 by Master Bertram of Minden. Also the only surviving sculpture of S:t George Group and the Princess, a work of the North German wood sculptor Hennig Rolves dating from around 1509–1522. The most beautiful sculpture in the church is probably the Franska Madonnan (French Madonna) from the 15th century.
The church was originally built as a single, unplastered brick building with a straight wooden ceiling. It had once three entrances, the entrance on the south side was determined for the men. The woman entrance was on the opposite side.
Presumably, the church was extended in the 15th century. It was extended by the choir to the east and the nave received a vaulted ceiling. At the same time the tower was constructed. The south entrance is bricked since 1935.