Factory museum in Storebro
Storebro Bruksmuseum in the small village Storebro, about twelve kilometres south of Vimmerby, presents the history of the local metal industry Storebo Bruk.
Situated in the multi-storey building of a former water mill on the small river Stångån, Storebro Bruksmuseum presents a variety of historical products from the different branches of the Storebro Bruk on four floors.
In the basement you can see old heavy oil engines, wood carburettors for cars and trucks, boilers and some old lathes. On the ground floor are several of the machine tools that have contributed to the economic success of Storebo Bruk – from one of the first lathes from 1915 to a modern milling machine.
On the same level there is an old punch from 1910, various horse carriages from the 19th century as well as a collection of cast iron household items from the ironworks production.
The first floor of the museum is dedicated to the successful history of boat building in Storebro and displays five different types of wooden boats built in Storebro. These include a rowing boat from 1946, one of the shipyard's first products, three motor boats from the 1950/60s and the elegant cabin boat Solö Ruff, of which a total of 2,800 units were built between 1951 and 1964.
In the attic there is an exhibition with old cast-iron stoves, cookers, pumps and ploughs. A collection of historical tools provides a small insight into the world of labour of the 19th century.
The museum has no regular opening hours. Visits can be arranged by telephone or on request at the guesthouse Gula Huset, which is not a hundred metres away and where the key to the museum is deposited.