The historical town hall in Malmö was built in 1544–1547, at a time, when Malmö was one of the largest cities in Scandinavia. The two-storey building was the largest town hall which was built in the 16th century.
The town hall received its present, Dutch Renaissance style facade around 1860 in the wake of extensive restoration work. It was attempted to restore the original medieval facade.
The vaulted cellars still look like in the Middle Ages, the ceiling of the upper floors were decorated with elaborate stucco work in the 19th century. The Knut hall was designed like the Hall of Mirrors of the Versailles Palace and is used for special events and balls. On the same floor is also the exclusive Bernadotte room, which is exclusively for royal and diplomatic guests.
The cellar vaults hosts the Rådhuskällaren restaurant, one of the most famous restaurants in Malmö.