Historical church in Oskarshamn
Döderhults Kyrka, the church of the district Döderhult located west of the town center of Oskarshamn, was completed in 1772 and is one of the oldest structures in the municipality Oskarshamn.
The Döderhults Kyrka is a well-preserved example of the special local architectural style that was developed in the 18th century for church buildings in the Kalmarsund region. It is the successor of a medieval church, which was demolished in 1771 and stood next to the present church.
The church is designed as an open aisleless church with a wooden tunnel vault ceiling. The nave and the sanctuary merge into each other and the outer wall of the sanctuary is straight, without an apse. The tower is located on the western gable wall and is slightly under-proportionate to the rest of the building, as it is, apart from the spire, no higher than the roof ridge of the church.
The interior of the Döderhults Kyrka consists of only a few medieval objects. These include the old baptismal font and the corpus on the crucifix on the north wall and one of the church bells. Otherwise, the church interior is characterized by a mixture of elements of Rococo and Classicism.
The altarpiece was created in 1778, the Rococo-style pulpit dates from 1779 and was made in the style of a model in the Maria Magdalena Kyrka in Stockholm. The ornate facade of the organ in the gallery on the western gable wall was built around 1775, while the inside of it dates back to 1925.