Town on the peninsula Falsterbonäset
Skanör is located in the northern part of the Falsterbo peninsula and is the older sister of twin city Skanör med Falsterbo, united in 1754.
While the town Falsterbo is only mentioned towards the end of the 13th century, Skanör already existed since the beginning of the 13th century.
The twin city today is home to about 7,000 people who share a total area of about 5 square kilometers. Especially in the summer months, Skanör and Falsterbo are very popular tourist destinations because of the miles of sandy beaches.
Destinations & attractions in Skanör
History of Skanör
Towards the end of the 12th century, a small chapel was built on the site of the present church, St:Olofs Kyrka. Inside the church you can still find ruins of this ancient chapel.
Coinciding with the erection of the St:Olofs Kyrka at the beginning of the 13th century, the Danish king Valdemar led to build the Skanör castle a little further north. From this castle, only a few remains in the form of a hill and some wall fragments have survived. Since that time, it is also reported from a marketplace in Skanör what is seen as further evidence of the early existence of a city.
The rich herring occurrence on the north side of the peninsula brought Skanör great importance as a trading place between the 12th and 14th century. At the end of the 14th century, this trading place shifted to the southern half of the peninsula, to the village Falsterbo.