Castle & Museum near Skurup
The 16th century Svaneholms Slott with the Svaneholms Museum is situated about one kilometre north of Skurup. With its castle park, lake and adjacent nature reserves, it is one of the most popular destinations in the municipality Skurups Kommun.
The four-winged castle is located on a headland in lake Svaneholmssjön, which in earlier times was once an island in the middle of the lake. Svaneholms Slott is beautifully situated and is surrounded by three nature reserves, Svaneholms Vassen, Svaneholms Hästhagen and Svaneholms Norrskogs Naturreservat.
Svaneholms Slott and Museum
The oldest wing of Castle Svaneholm was built around 1530 in the style of a late medieval, so-called fortified stone house with four storeys, stepped gables and a high gabled roof. In the following years the castle was extended to a closed quadrilateral with three other wings in the same architectural style.
From 1694 to 1705 the south-eastern wing was rebuilt in the style of Italian Baroque, whereby it was raised by two fake floors, behind which the roof construction is hidden, invisible from below. The similar reconstruction of the other three wings was firmly planned, but was not carried out due to the sudden death of the lord of the castle.
Since 1935 the castle has been owned by the Svaneholms Slott Cooperative, founded by the local history association Vemmenhög. The cooperative runs Svaneholms Museum, a cultural history museum with around 13,000 catalogued exhibits in two wings of the castle. Among them are archaeological findings from the region as well as historical clothing, toys and furniture, and all kinds of art and everyday objects.
The lord of the castle Rutger Macklean
The most famous lord of the castle was Baron Rutger Macklean, who owned the castle from 1782 to 1816. Known as a successful reformer of Swedish agriculture, Macklean belonged to the radical intellectual opposition of the Swedish aristocracy against King Gustav III. He was a follower of Voltaire's and Robespierre's theses and the ideals of the French Revolution.
The Macklean Room on the ground floor of the castle displays some objects from his life along with 350 books from his library, which once contained some 700 books of scientific and agricultural literature and radical political literature. On the same floor is the Stensalen, with furniture from the time of Gustav III, which is considered the most luxurious room in the entire castle.
In the former valet's room next to the staircase is the museum shop, whose assortment includes books on the history of the castle and its surroundings, high-quality decorative items as well as toys and children's costumes based on historical models.
The other floors of Svaneholms Slott
On the second floor there are some rooms of the castle with their original furnishings, which were used as former living quarters. These include the Red Room, which was used as a bedroom in Mackleans times and later as a lounge. Then the corner room, which was last used as a daily living room and furnished in the style of the early 19th century, followed by the Blue Salon with its rococo style furnishings. Lastly, the music salon of the last lady of the castle, Countess Mathilde Hallenborg, who was widely known for her extraordinary musical talent.
On the third floor there are several different exhibitions, for example with historical lace-making textiles, as well as the so-called silver chamber with historical silver jewellery and silver utensils. The exhibition of old furniture and furnishings from peasant households in the large guest hall and the tool room with old agricultural equipment as well as the exhibition of furniture from the 19th century join the exhibition.
On the fourth floor is the historical shop of the former Villie Lanthandel, a good parlour and the living room of wealthy farmers with furniture from around 1880.
Restaurant, lake and nature at the castle
In the historic dining room in one of the other castle wings of Svaneholms Slott is the castle restaurant, which offers a brunch with an extensive buffet, a varied menu and, on weekdays, a good and affordable daily special.
On the shore of the adjacent Svaneholmssjön, rowing boats are available for a romantic boat trip across the lake or a fishing trip. For those who prefer to walk on firm ground, there are two marked circular routes, 2.9 and 4.3 kilometres long, to explore the forest and the immediate surroundings of the castle. Both trails run around the lake and through the nature reserve Svaneholm Vassen. The longer route is an unpaved forest path that runs in a wide arc through the nature reserve, while the shorter route is paved and wheelchair accessible throughout.
Svaneholms Slott: Opening hours & admission
Tuesday – Sunday: 11:00 – 16:00
Saturday – Sunday: 11:00 – 16:00
Last update: 06/2020 | Errors and omissions excepted.