Lighthouse at the northern tip of Öland
The lighthouse Långe Erik, officially Ölands Norra Udde (northern tip of Öland), marks the northern end of the Swedish Baltic island Öland. It stands on a small narrow island off the bay Grankullaviken, about 3 kilometers north of the village Nabbelund.
The limestone lighthouse is 32 meters high and was taken in operation in 1845. Contrary to its counterpart, the Långe Jan at the southern tip of Öland, the Långe Erik is quite exactly 60 years younger and almost 10 meters lower.
The lighting device of the Långe Erik initially consisted of an oil lamp, whose light has been amplified by standing mirror lenses. In 1906 the current lamp house was set up and equipped with a kerosene-bulb and a rotating lens apparatus. The rotation of the lens held in trransition by a clockwork in transition, which had to be wind every hour.
As early as 1935 the lighthouse was declared a national monument. The clockwork was taken out of service with the electrification of the lighthouse in 1947, but is still in the tower. A bridge to lighthouse island was built in 1965 and since 1976 the Långe Erik is unmanned and remotely controlled. The large lens apparatus was decommissioned and replaced by a smaller beacon on the balcony railing in 1991.
The Långe Erik is only open during the summer season (July to August) for visitors and you can climb up to the balcony in 28 meters. At the foot of the lighthouse there is a cozy kiosk, which offers coffee, soft drinks, ice cream and souvenirs.
Långe Erik: Opening hours & admission
Monday – Sunday: 10:00 – 16:00
Last update: 07/2019 | Errors and omissions excepted.