Historical church in Algutsrum
Algutsrums Kyrka, the church of the small village Algutsrum, is located about 6 kilometers northeast of Färjestaden.
The church was built in the 12th century, but the permanent structural changes throughout the centuries were so profound that only little of the medieval building has been preserved. But there can be found some very old pieces inside the Algutsrums Kyrka. The sandstone baptismal font in Gotland style dates from the 12th century, a crucifix from the 13th century.
The altar bell, like it is used in a catholic church, dates back to the 14th century. The North German altarpiece, illustrating Jesus with crown of thorns, flanked by the holy Birgitta and the holy Saint Knut, is from 1475 and was part of the former S:t Knuts chapel.