Historical city gate in Kalmar
Västerport is a mighty city gate on the west side of the island Kvarnholmen. Once, it protected the main entrance to the center of Kalmar.
Västerport was completed in 1658 as part of the fortification of Kalmar and was in use until 1870. For a long time, the Kalmar city guards were housed in the vaults of the gate system.
The city was only connected to the mainland by this passage. This bridge was additionally protected on the mainland by a heavily fortified bridgehead, a so-called Ravelin.
In 1997, a wooden footbridge was installed between the gate and the former Ravelin Malmen, where is a prison today. The historic vaults in Västerport currently be used by Westholms Glasstudio as a workshop and for the sale of crafted high-quality glassware.