Ramnakyrkan was built around 1690 and originally stood in the small church village of Kinnarumma in the extreme south of the municipality. When the parish of Kinnarumma had a new church built in 1907, they left their old wooden church to the cultural association which was in the process of building the open-air museum in Ramnaparken.
1912, the Ramnakyrkan was dismantled at its place of origin and was rebuilt until 1914 as one of the first buildings in the open-air museum just in time for its opening. Along with the church, its winged altar and pulpit moved to the new location, but not the pews and the attached bell tower.
Ramnakyrkan in the open air museum
The present bell tower of the Ramnakyrkan is a freestanding belfry from the Öra Kyrka from the parish of the same name in the municipality of Herrljunga. The pews are from the Vänga Kyrka in the north of Borås municipality.
The outer walls and the roof of the Ramnakyrkan are covered with wooden shingles, which are painted red on the walls and tarred on the roof. Inside, the church has a straight wooden ceiling painted with biblical motifs from around 1750.
At first, the Ramnakyrkan was used as a museum and contained the extensive collection of the cultural association. After the former guesthouse Ramslätts Gästgivaregård moved to the open air museum in 1928 as a new building, the collection was moved there with the exception of some medieval church sculptures.
1930, the Ramnakyrkan was consecrated again and has since been used again for church services, becoming a very popular wedding and baptismal church in the Borås region.
Ramnakyrkan: Opening hours & admission
Tuesday – Sunday: 12:00 – 16:00
Last update: 03/2020 | Errors and omissions excepted.