Just as the two magnificent churches Fredrikskyrkan and Trefaltighetskyrkan, Karlskrona Rådhus was even part in the original plans of the city planners. The plans from 1683 considered pompous civilian buildings at the Stortorget which were built, some with a significant delay.
While the two churches were built quite promptly, construction of the town hall began after the big fire in 1790. After eight years of construction the town hall was completed. The entrance portal in form of an ancient portico was also included in the original plans from 1683, but was not added until a renovation in 1905.
Currently, the city hall is no longer used by the city administration, but houses one provincial court of the Blekinge County.