The first written mention of the Chapel of Arild is found in a papal letter of 1475. The chapel was most likely built by herring fishermen from Stubbarp and Flundarp who had a berth for their fishing boats in Arild. The simple style of the chapel suggests that it was built by technically talented people, but without the help of a special church-builder.
Arilds kapell belongs to the Church of Brunnby and was extensively restored in the years 1737–1744. From this period dates also the votive ship, the model of a galley, as they drove between Helsingborg and Helsingör at that time. In the small cemetery around the chapel rest only drowned people who were stranded on the coast.